Friday, January 9, 2009

Who needs resolutions? I'm perfect!

Crap...I think I should have written the resolutions on New Years Day. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? If not, doesn't that mean that you've probably violated whatever new resolutions you were supposed to make? And doesn't this invalidate the rest of the year? Wiping out 360 some odd days of positive change?

Oh well, here's to becoming a better person in 2010.

Just kidding, we'll just pretend that last week or so that just passed was just the "afterbirth" of the birth of the new year if you will (so 2009 hasn't really started yet). Sorry for the disgusting visual. In my attempt to ready myself in becoming a murse (yes, I spelled it with an "m" to give the emphasis on Masculinity), I've been watching as much Discovery Health and whatever shows I shied away from before because I thought they were gross.

I figure I'd better try to get used to seeing blood and poop so I don't faint at the first sign of an IV bag (this is a nod to a favorite story of my mom, who is a 30 year nursing veteran, but said when she was just starting out she passed out at the mere sight of an empty plasma bottle). Its not that I'm afraid of needles (my tattoos should prove that somewhat), I think my apprehension comes from actually stabbing people to draw blood and giving IV's. Oh well, I'm sure once I get my first one in there, I'll be all good. Any volunteers out there willing to help me out?

Shoot, sorry to go on a strange tangent there, back to New Year resolutions. I've made resolutions half-heartedly in the past. They've always been generic and are probably voiced by everyone while they're in the drunken stupor to New Year's Eve.

You know its the thoughts of: "get in shape", "be nicer to people", "stop chronic masturbation", "quit throwing frogs off the freeway overpass onto oncoming traffic", you know the standard stuff that everyone says. This year, I figured I would actually take some time and set some tangible goals, that hopefully can have a positive impact on everyone, including myself.

Here are a couple that I'm trying to actively do and keep track of. Of course the standard ones still apply (get in shape, be nicer, blah blah blah). As far as the other two I mentioned, I never had a big problem with the frog throwing.

1) Set goals (Lets see, this list is a goal, so that is an EPIC SUCCESS!)
2) Say "please" and "thank you" to at least 3 people every day (but only to a maximum of 6)
3) Go to sleep earlier (hopefully with the school load and workout schedule this works itself out)
4) Continue to paint (with the Xbox hidden safely away, this should free up about 10 hours a day)

They say the more resolutions you have that reinforce each other the easier they are to maintain. How are your resolutions going?

On the academic front, everything is shaping up well. I have my class schedule finalized. I have Physiology MWF at 9-11 am, Biology at MW 5-10:30 pm and Anatomy TR 6-8:30 pm. The only sh!tty thing is that my Anatomy class is in a town that is 45-50 minutes away. So, I'll be doing a little travelling for that class. For you California folk, that 45 minute drive actually means that it is 45 miles away not 10 miles (gotta love that traffic!).

I've already started studying my books. My plan is to have the chapters read the week prior to the class schedule. I'm already up 3 chapters on Biology and gotta get my physiology and anatomy books today (looks like I have a busy weekend ahead).

So my internet lurkers, its now on like Donkey Kong. Lets get FINE IN 09!

No comments:

Post a Comment