Thursday, March 4, 2010

I want the caramel filled one...

Well, tomorrow should be my last day of the "day shift" orientation. Unless the floor nurse feels otherwise, I should be switching over to the weekend night shift next weekend. I must say that I've had a lot of fun working this week.

Undoubtedly this brings me great relief. My biggest worry is that I would either hate working in a hospital or that I wouldn't be able to take the close proximity of the bodily fluids and injuries. Now, to give full closure, I do still try to look away when I'm encountering a new type of gaping wound, but for the most part I'm slowly desensitizing myself to the various medical conditions I'll be seeing.

The awesome thing about the floor I'm working on is the variety of the patients we see. Its supposed to be an Oncology wing, but we tend to get patients ranging from Urology to Neurology to Orthopedics. So, we have everything from the feet to the head covered.

I've pretty been much on my own the past few days so I feel confident moving on to the night shift. Though, I will miss my trainer and the awesome folks I've been working with. Thankfully, I have been assured that I'll have a great time with the night shift crew. My one worry is that night shift folks (and I've confirmed this with multiple sources) EAT ALL THE TIME.

Could the Hoze-B of "Fine in 09" usher a new era of "Pigpen in 2010"?

Hopefully I can curb the late night munchies. Hmm...maybe we can get all Grey's Anatomy in that piece. Actually, hold that thought until I get to meet the night shift crew.

Some of you may be thinking that last statement is what I was referencing in the blog entry title. While I'm not sure if there's a caramel skinned butter-pecan Puerto Rican female nurse working the night shift...that wasn't what I was referring too.

Interestingly, I got to talking to one of the patients today about a topic I hold dear. No, not boobies, but rather, movies. Yes, with an "M".



I popped in to take her vital signs and Forrest Gump was playing on the TV. It happened to be on the iconic scene featuring Forrest and the nurse sitting at the bus stop. Forrest then utters those famous words..."I like boobies"....oh wait, I mean, "Momma always said life is like a box of chocolates.

So, as I'm taking the patient blood pressure and other vitals she turns to me and says: "You know, that is so true. What's a line from a movie that you think is real?"

What? How could she bombard me with such an awesome question at 7:30 am!

My mind raced and I frantically tried calling up some of my favorite movie quotes. I wanted to sound cool and knowledgeable about my movie prowess. I quickly accessed my mind's data bank to try and pry out a particularly thoughtful and heartfelt quote. I racked my brain to find that singular statement that would prove the power that motion pictures held as a medium.

I thought of some of my favorite movies and some quotes began tumbling in my head. I was about to regale her with a quote from the movie Braveheart: "Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it", but she surprised me by saying:

"Everyone is Tad Hamilton to someone"

A smile crept across my face. Did my 60 some year old patient just quote the movie Win a Date with Tad Hamilton?

She must have noticed the stupid smile on my face because she then explained that she had gone with her young teenage granddaughter to that movie years ago and absolutely loved it. I laughed and remarked that she probably only liked it because of Josh Duhamel.

After her admission to liking this movie we had a great conversation about the meaning of this quote. I would admit that I mostly find this quote true. While I don't think it's as apt as the Forrest Gump quote, I think its is very accurate.

I would have to think that there are a few folks out there on this earth that are no one's Tad Hamilton, but for the majority of people, there is someone out there that would find them ideal.

Here's to hoping you get your Tad Hamilton (or whatever the female equivalent would be...Tadiesha Hamilton???)

Whoa...its only 11 pm and I'm already sleepy. Great, I'm starting to get used to waking up early and I'll be switching to crazy nocturnal.

Ok, that's it for me.

SLTSFMM

Some dudes know all the right things to say.
When it comes down to it, it’s all just game.
Instead of talking let me demonstrate. Yeah.
Get down to business and skip foreplay.

"In My Head" by Jason Derulo

2 comments:

  1. I think I like that lady. Anyone who quotes romantic comedies gets two thumbs up from me. Although, I'm surprised the convo didn't turn to her granddaughter. She should be within your age range by now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA oh wait, I shouldn't be laughing at an "old" joke. D:

    ReplyDelete