Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One more to go!

Last night was my Anatomy final. I only needed 22 points out of a 100 to secure my A in the class. I'm sure I scored at least 60 points in the cumulative section (for some reason the bones and muscles stuck in my memory) so I should have my A in Anatomy. All that's left is Physiology which isn't until next Monday.

I just checked my grade for Microbiology and thankfully I kept my A. I had a few qualms after the lecture final, but it looks like I scored high enough.

I haven't rocked a 4.0 grade point average since high school. Sweet!


All I have left is to take the TEAS test in July and my application will be complete. The TEAS is a standardized test much like the SAT or ACT that high schoolers take prior to graduating. Its just another quantifiable measurement that nursing programs can use for admission standards. I purchased a study guide for it already and am doing well on the practice tests so I'm not too worried about it.

The acceptance rates here for the various programs I'm applying for range from 20% to 35%. Other than the grades and TEAS test score, there are also interviews, letters of recommendation and the swim suit competition (which I plan to win with my classy yet very fetching 2 piece bikini ensemble).

Enough about that...let me finish my "guy" movie listing from before (I have to hurry because a storm is on its way and I want to unplug my computer).

Can't Buy Me Love

This was Patrick Dempsey in all of his pre-McDreamy heyday. This movie character is one that many guys can relate too. For those that don't know/remember the plot; it revolves around a nerdy fellow that uses his hard earned lawn mowing job money to help out the most popular girl in school. They use that money to buy a replacement dress before her mom knows she used it without permission. In hind sight, they should have just burned that dress...gotta love 80's fashion! In return, the popular girl helps our nerdy hero to assimilate into the in-crowd and hilarity ensues. A classic pygmalian tale. You know what, I will single handedly bring back the African Anteater Dance back here in Mid-Missouri.

The moral of this story? You too can get the girl of your dreams...you'd just better have lots of money!

Money. Cash. Hoes. Cash rules everything around me, CREAM get the money!

Risky Business

Ah, another great story about entreprenuership and the pitfalls of small business ownership. Also, nothing says future CEO than sex on the Chicago L. I remember trying to sneak into the room as a kid while the adults were watching this movie, only to get caught, scolded and sent back to my room. Dammit, I was just trying to learn about economics and the laws of supply and demand.

The lesson to be taken from this movie? You can make a lot of money by exploting the horniness of male consumers between the ages of 16 to 24. Come on people, thats just Marketing 101. Hmm, between Pretty Woman, Risky Business and True Romance, movie prostitutes are actually very attractive.

Look how diligently she is taking notes. I'm pretty sure the dialogue in this scene went something like this:
"So you see, equilibrium is reached when the allocation of goods is at its most efficient because the amount of goods supplied is exactly the same amount demanded. Thus, the pricing model can be adjusted appropriately to maximize the movement of goods at the optimum price."
Top Gun

Yes, I realize that I've just selected 2 Tom Cruise movies back to back (just feel lucky that I didn't select Legend, which I did like BTW). But these movies were back in his glory days, and before anyone really knew that he was batshit crazy.

Top Gun epitomizes 3 aspects of the movie types we're trying to quantify:

1)
Its got the "sexy/taboo" romance between Maverick and Charlie (and yes, Charlie is the call sign for the instructor lady).
2)
Its got the "wedding bliss/family" love between Goose and Meg Ryan (no one knows Meg Ryan's character name in this movie).
3) Its got some good bromance, damn near hovering around homoeroticism between all of the naval aviators.

Add in jets, missles and motorcycles and you've got yourself one good movie. They probably could have cut the volleyball scene though. Who the F plays sand volleyball in jeans? This movie also provided a slew of memorable quotes.

I'm pretty sure the dialogue in this scene went something like this:

"One of these days, Iceman. POW, right in the kisser."

Forest Gump

I may be getting amibiguous with my selection criteria, but what the hell, its my list right? I don't think that it can be argued that this isn't a great movie. Its has a ton of very cool historical aspects and pokes lightly at a lot of past events. But, underlying it all, is a man's quest to win the heart of this childhood love. It just so happens that he does a ton of crazy sh!t along the way. It gets a check mark in all of the major categories: love, war, bromance. It also gets extra credit for shrimp. I happen to like shrimp a lot. Lastly, if I were ever to get shot, I hope its also in my gluteus maximus.


Damn dirty hippies. Always breaking hearts.

Slumdog Millionaire

If you added all of the factors we've been using and throw in a game show...you'd get Slumdog Millionaire. Talk about literally having to go through some sh!t to finally get your lady friend. All I know is that if I went through all of that stuff for a girl, the very first thing I would do be to break out into an intricate choreographed dance. But thats just me I guess.



MMM...whats that lovely aroma? Is someone making curry?


Oh well, that's it for me right now. I need to go work out then study for Physiology.

SLTSFFM

So when your man don't treat you like he used to,
I kick in like a turbo booster.
You want lovin' you don't have to ask
When your man's a headache, I'll be your aspirin

"I gotta man" by Positive K

No comments:

Post a Comment