Friday, May 1, 2009

City of Angels? Really?

So I was lurking over on a message board that I frequent often and the topic of "Guy Movies" came up. Someone then suggested City of Angels with Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage. Really? This movie was a guy movie? Hmm...I dunno about that and its definitely not a top 10.

I mean, Meg Ryan is still one of the actresses I was in love with growing up; though she is in danger of falling off my list ever since her lips got weird. It was a decent movie, but its more likely to end up on Nicolas Cage's top 10 list, rather than a top 10 Guy Movie. It would probably rank somewhere behind Bangkok Dangerous on Cage's list (please note obvious sarcasm).

Don't get me wrong, I liked City of Angels, but that praise may have been too high. Speaking of the movie, I think I would have been hella pissed off if I was that Angel. He must have been pretty upset at the end of the movie.

What could he have been thinking: I just gave up my immortality for you and how do you decide to celebrate our first night together? You decide to bike down hill with your eyes closed and use no hands on a mountain road that's crowded with huge logging trucks!

Probably would have been better to stay in bed and watch some TV, don't ya think?




WATCH OUT FOR THAT LOG! Wait...maybe that's what happened to her lips?

Ok, so I decided to create a list of female related Guy Movies. Typically "Guy Movies" are all about blowing shit up so we'll somewhat refrain from those movies and focus on more romantic type guy movies. I wanted to list movies, while not necessarily a "Romatic" style, but had enough about relationships or love while keeping in line with being a "Guy Movie".

So faithful readers, in no particular ranking or order please enjoy Reset Buttons'
TOP TEN WOMEN RELATED GUY MOVIES (I really had no idea what to call this list)

BraveHeart

This movie has it all. Not just one, but two romances, lots of swords and hacked off limbs, and also lots of guy bonding. Its also gives a bit of history, a cute French princess and did I mention swords? This is a movie about a guy who goes to WAR with an entire country because they murdered his lady friend. I think we'll probably start to see a trend here. And all this was filmed before the world knew how big of an Antisemite Mel Gibson was. FANTASTIC!


Notice I used a picture of one of the romances (ala cute French princess) instead of any number of battle scenes featuring mutilated and amputated limbs.

Last of the Mohicans

Another movie that has it all. Lots of guns and tomahawks, lots of running through the woods, girls in petticoats and someone gets burned alive at the stake. Hmm, I guess I do like the period peices, full of costumes and people speaking with an English accent. This is about a guy who inadvertantly gets caught in a war while trying to get his lady friend back (whats up with these lady friends always getting into trouble?).


Again, I used a picture with lots of hugging...OK, OK, I couldn't find the "burning at the stake" picture on the Internet.

Princess Bride

Talk about having to utilize all of your faculties to get your lady friend back. The hero has to use speed and skill, strength and endurance, then intelligence and guile to overcome all his obstacles. That's pretty much what I have to do every time I want to get to the shortest check out line at Wal-Mart.


This is after Wesley's battle with the R.O.U.S. - Rodents of Unusual Size. I think I saw one at Wal-Mart.

Swingers

Ok, so this one veers somewhat off the path of a romance, but it is such a quintesential guy movie about bromance and the positive/negative influence guys can have on each other when it comes to the ladies. "You're like a big bear, with claws and fangs (big fucking teeth!) and she's just like a little bunny that's cowering in the corner", any guy can tell you, he's either heard that speech or given it.


Come on, they played NHL Hockey 93 on a Sega Genesis in the movie. It makes the list for that reason alone!

True Romance

Quick synopsis: fall in love with a hooker, guns, guns, fight, Gary Oldman plays a black guy, fight, guns, cocaine, guns, Christopher Walken, guns, fight, hooker gets beat up, fight, guns, Brad Pitt as a stoner, guns, guns, wire tap set up, guns, guns, guns, safe in Mexico. A formula like that only has one solution = AWESOME.


There are two things in this image that bother me. 1) You really can't find any public phone booths like this to mess around in anymore (damn cellphones!) 2) By the laws of fashion which state that styles will come back every 20/30 years, cow print mini skirts will be back! Wait a minute...I think I've already seen them at Wal-Mart!!!


Shoot, its almost 2 AM and I have a physiology lab in the morning that I should be somewhat coherent for so I'll have to stop the list there for now. I'll continue in the next entry.

My parents are actually heading into town tomorrow, which is cool for my dad since we're getting the Pacman fight. I'm thinking Manny wins by KO in the 9th. Mabuhay muthafuckas!


SLTSFMM

Oh I am young, but I have aged
Waited long, to seize the day
All things said, and plenty done
Life is short

"Life is short" by Butterfly Boucher

1 comment: