Monday, September 14, 2009

I should be sleeping...

Well, I should be sleeping. For one, I'm trying to fix my sleep cycles again, and another I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning at 7:45. But, as I put set my T.V. to sleep I was flipping thru the channels to find something to listen to as I read my book Wraeththu (more on the book later), and I settled upon TBS and started watching a movie called Purgatory.

And by jove, it hooked me. I didn't particularly plan on watching the entire movie, but the premise intrigued me. Its basically about an old town in the wild west called Refuge. A band of outlaws ride into town and find it extremely peaceful, the sheriff isn't even strapped. Yada-yada-yada, one of the "good" outlaws figures out that the place is actually a purgatory for old bandits like Wild Bill Hickock, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid and Jessie James have to try and be good so they can get into heaven.

I liked the premise, and using the western theme was kinda cool. I've always found movies dealing with religion to very interesting and they are typically the scariest thriller or horror movies. Movies like The Omen, The 7th Sign, Fallen, Gabriel's Ladder and of course The Exorcist were very, very freaky.

Watching Purgatory made me eager to watch Legion, when it comes out next year. Click the link to watch a trailer if you haven't seen it already. It could be pretty cheeseball, but I do like a lot of the actors in it, so it may suck less. For one particular reader out there, I know she will notice that they used actors from both movie and TV version of Friday Night Lights (another awesome TV series that I highly recommend).

Oh well, I guess I'll get back to my book. I picked this book up quite randomly when I was in New York. We went into a book store and after looking around aimlessly for some time (I'm not quite sure how long we were in the book store, maybe and hour?), I decided to pick something up. Since it was actually a compendium of 3 books for $5, I decided what the heck not. 800 pages for $5 seemed like a good deal.

I just recently realized that there is somewhat of a following for these books. It took me some time to get into it, but its pretty good so far.

Here's a quick list of books that I've recently read (or more accurately, listened to on CD):

S is for Silence by Sue Grafton
Mary, Mary by James Patterson
Children of Men by P.D. James
Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell

All of them were decent. But, nothing too life shattering. I would probably recommend Rule of Four the most if you kinda like a history based mystery. Its kinda like Di Vinci Code, but not as thrilling and with more historical references.

OK, its 2:30 and I actually still want to read my book for a bit so thats all from me for now. Hope everything is all good whereever you are reading this...

No comments:

Post a Comment