Saturday, August 15, 2009

TREASURES!

So I'm back in Hays going through all of the boxes that I brought from California trying to find all of the things that I need to take to my new place. I'm specifically looking for a couple lamps. But, of course, whatever you are actually looking for you never find.

However...

I have come across a treasure trove of memories and nostalgia. As I was putting away some DVD's into my dad's entertainment center, I found a bunch of cassette tapes going back to the late 70's.

There were some actual tapes from recording artists. A copy of MJ's Thriller takes the cake for best tape in the box. While a tape of Milli Vanilli's Girl you Know its True takes the prize for the tape that I'm most likely to be listening to right now. Hint: I am.


Don't even lie. You know you were rocking out to Blame it on the Rain. Wow, remember those Africa medallions? FUCKING SWEET!

Other than listening to people's voices that don't belong to Rob and Fab, I discovered a bunch of tapes that my family recorded when we were children.

My childhood was always in a state of flux (which is probably the reason I'm pretty much game for moving or trying new things). While my mom moved to the US for work my dad decided to keep his ophthalmology practice in the Philippines for a while longer. So, we would live in the US with my mom for a couple years, then go back and live with my dad in the P.I. for a couple years.

I actually spent Kindergarten, 2nd grade, 5th and 6th grade in the P.I. This probably explains my "fobnation" and could be the reason I've decided to grow out my hair.

Quick hair update: My emo bangs are slowly creeping to the tip of my nose. I can almost do the Panteen shake of my head to get the hair out of my eyes. I have no idea how I'm suppose to style this thing, but screw it, I've let it grow this much in the summer, I'd might as well keep it through the winter.

Back to the tapes. So, as we moved from continent to continent, we would record tapes for whichever parent we weren't living with at the time. When I first found the tapes I was wondering where I could listen to them. With the change to CD's then to digital, Walkman's are extremely hard to come by. Thankfully, my parent's still have a super old skool Japanese Karaoke machine. I had to preface that it's Japanese, because all of the writing on it is in Kanji.

Oh Snap, the jam is on! Sing it with me...

Girl you know its true. Oh oh oh, I love you.
Yes you know its true. Oh oh oh, I love you.

Damn, that's catchy.

Enough of that. I need to get these cassette recordings onto CD or Digital format. If anyone out there has ever done that, please let a brotha know.

FYI, I used to speak Tagalog pretty damn well. Also, my child voice is pretty cute. Given the fact that I was also a very cute child, I was definitely under a constant threat to get my cheeks pinched. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

Shoot, I'd better get back to sorting this stuff. Hopefully those lamps pop up. As I used to say on the tapes:

Sige na po!


SLTSFMM

It just don't feel the same
Gotta blame it on something
Gotta blame it on something
Blame it on the rain
Blame it on the stars

"Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli

1 comment:

  1. I have an idea on how to convert those tapes, but I'll need to take a look at the karaoke machine. Haha, I remember making "pause tapes" on that thing with Marcus back in the day.

    ReplyDelete